LETTER FROM EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
By Linda Perilstein, Executive Director
I would like to offer a warm welcome from all of us at Cradle of Hope and tell you about our work helping children and families. My husband and I adopted our son domestically and our daughter from Romania in the late 1980s. International adoption was a new and complicated process in Eastern Europe at that time, and many families asked for assistance. Several other adoptive parents and I founded Cradle of Hope in 1990.
Cradle of Hope placed 80 children from Romania in our first year of operation. In 1991, we expanded our focus to the former Soviet Union and have since brought together more than 3,400 orphaned children and loving adoptive parents. We have an active program in China as well as domestic programs in the United States. Additionally, for the many, many children who remain behind in orphanages, we are committed to humanitarian aid relief to help improve the quality of their lives. We have sent and distributed large shipments of clothing, developmental toys, medical supplies and equipment, and provided funds for the repair and maintenance of orphanage buildings.
Having personally experienced a domestic agency adoption as well as an independent international adoption, I can truly appreciate the support and knowledge that adoption professionals provide. The adoption process can be an emotional and procedural roller coaster. We have an excellent staff whose trademarks are competence, compassion, responsiveness, and solid ethics. Your Cradle of Hope team will guide you through each step of your international adoption, and will be available to support you throughout the process as well as after your child comes home.
Thank you for your interest in Cradle of Hope. We look forward to the opportunity of working with you. I encourage you to contact us to discuss how we can help bring your son or daughter home to you.
WHO WE ARE
- Cradle of Hope is a licensed, nonprofit adoption agency founded in 1990 by adoptive parents.
- We are Hague-accredited by the Council on Accreditation.
- We have placed children with families across the United States and abroad.
- We can assist U.S. families living outside the United States.
- We have placed more than 3,500 children from China, the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, Latin America and the United States.
- We are a member agency of the National Council for Adoption.
Linda is our Executive Director and founder. She is responsible for the overall operation of the agency and our adoption programs. Linda provides guidance and support to our staff and families and has a hand in recruitment, program development, administration, licensing and accreditation compliance, fundraising, domestic adoptions, and many other projects. Linda and her husband have adopted both domestically and internationally. She has lead Cradle of Hope through our 27 successful years.
Patrice has worked as Director of our Bridge of Hope hosting program since 2003, helping over 600 older children find homes in the US. She hosted her sons through Bridge of Hope and adopted them in 1998. She has recruited and counseled host families, transitioned children into their adoptive families, and provided ongoing support to parents and children after adoption. She is involved in child advocacy, family outreach, program development, and communications with our current and past clients. Her passion is helping older children find and succeed in their forever families.
Chris has been performing case work for his 20 plus years at Cradle of Hope for families in our Eastern European, Latin American, Asia and Africa programs. In addition, he has been active in program development and management, child advocacy, educational and cultural programs, public relations and more. Chris has helped more than 1,000 families and children come together as adoptive families.
Sherrell Goolsby, Homestudy Coordinator
Sherrell is our Homestudy Coordinator. She assists our homestudy clients to gather all required documents, coordinates our contract workers, and supervises the entire homestudy process. Sherrell has worked in adoption for more than 40 years, including twenty as the director of World Child and subsequently Adoption Center of Washington. She’s been part of the Cradle of Hope team for the past four years.
Jufang is originally from Taiwan and speaks fluent Mandarin. She assists adoptive families with dossier preparation and answers all related questions. She also collects Hague and post adoption documents from the families.
Rosa makes sure our office runs smoothly, including paying our bills, ordering supplies, balancing our books and maintaining client accounts. Rosa has worked at Cradle of Hope for 17 years.
Jamie works at our front desk and helps with copying, filing, answering the phones, sending out mail, etc. She is the warm and friendly voice you’ll hear when you call our office.
WHY CHOOSE CRADLE?
OUR TRACK RECORD IS OUTSTANDING
- Cradle of Hope has placed more than 3,500 children from the former Soviet Union, Eastern Europe, China, Latin America and the United States. Our extensive experience in many countries means adoptions are completed as quickly and smoothly as possible.
- Many Cradle of Hope families return to adopt another child through our programs.
CRADLE OF HOPE PROVIDES EXCELLENT SUPPORT
- Cradle of Hope works with families across the country in collaboration with other adoption agencies to ensure that each family receives as much guidance and support during the process as necessary.
- Individualized case-management.
- Homestudy services for DC, MD and VA families.
- Assistance with document preparation and immigration approval.
- Foreign country cultural education and travel preparation.
- Caseworker support while overseas.
- Post-placement services for DC, MD and VA families.
- Ongoing support for adoptive families after placement.
OUR MISSION AND PHILOSOPHY
Cradle of Hope’s mission is to provide adoption services to children domestically and overseas who are in need of permanent, loving families, and to provide humanitarian assistance to the orphanages which care for them. We believe that every child has the right to grow up in a loving family whose unconditional love will help him to reach his full potential. We are committed to providing our adoptive families with comprehensive counseling, preparation, and support throughout the adoption process and beyond. Since our staff has extensive personal and professional experience with adoption, we know the joy that adoption brings to a family. We try to ensure that building families through domestic and international adoption is a positive experience for the child and adoptive family.