CHILDREN AVAILABLE: We are placing newborns and young infants, primarily from Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC. Children will be African-American, Hispanic, Caucasian or mixed race. Medical and background information will be provided, to the extent possible, on children and the birthparents.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR ADOPTING FAMILIES: Our eligibility criteria for adopting families is flexible in order to include as many families as possible for children that need homes. Most of our families will be between the ages of 30 and 50. Couples should be married for at least two years. Single applicants are also welcome. Applicants should be in good emotional, physical and financial health.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK? Families interested in adopting through our domestic program should contact us by phone, email or through our website to receive more information about our domestic program. Once you’ve decided to work in our domestic adoption program, these are the steps that will lead you to your new son or daughter:
- You will submit a completed application with a recent photo and a $500 application fee.
- You will meet with a CHAC social worker for an orientation meeting in our Maryland office or by telephone for out of town families.
- You will receive provisional acceptance into the program conditioned upon CHAC approval of your completed homestudy.
- You will sign and return our Adoption Services Agreement.
- You will begin the homestudy process, if not already done.
- You will prepare your Family Profile for inclusion in our Waiting Parent Notebook.
- Upon approval of your homestudy, we will notify you of your final acceptance into our program.
- Your Family Profile will be posted in our Waiting Parent Notebook.
- You are matched with a birthmother.
- The baby is born! Placement is made!
- After a state-specific waiting period, the birthmother’s revocation period expires.
- Post-placement supervision begins.
- Family begins finalization process through the local court.
WHAT FEES WILL BE CHARGED? Cradle of Hope’s fees in our Domestic Program are based on a sliding scale. Please contact us for more information about the cost of adopting through our domestic adoption program and the schedule of payments.
WHO WILL ASSIST US THROUGH THE ADOPTION PROCESS? A Cradle of Hope social worker will work with you through each step of the adoption process. Our experienced team knows that this is an exciting yet difficult time for you and will be available to support and guide you until your child comes home and after.